How RFID Is Transforming the Livestock-Management Industry
Radio frequency identification (RFID) technology is spreading across a large number of industries, including livestock. Using RFID for livestock management is becoming the norm rather than the exception, driven in part by mandates from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).
- RFID tags are replacing traditional metal ID tags in livestock management.
- Animals receive RFID ear tags that are tracked by stationary and handheld readers.
- Farmers use RFID to identify and track livestock inventory, as well as record essential health data for each animal.
- Governments around the world are encouraging the technology’s use to better manage animal diseases.
- The USDA wants to mandate the use of RFID tags for all cattle involved in interstate travel and exhibitions.